blow LTD was launched in November 2013 by ex-Grazia and ELLE editor Fiona McIntosh and digital guru, Dharmash Mistry; reinventing every step of the salon and beauty retail experience using technology, media, design and a new staff engagement model.
Create huge impact and engage the user from day one with elegant and engaging design and intuitive User Experience. The key challenge was the requirement to engage customers wanting to book salon appointments as well as those shopping for beauty products. It also had to integrate with:
- Appointment booking and staff rostering
- Store Point of Sale, including Credit card PDQ devices and barcode scanners
- Inventory, order management and external warehouse
- Accounting system
- Email Marketing and Social Media platforms and tools
The platform had to be able to deliver high conversion rates, be robust and reliable and offer the flexibility to quickly scale with unline with the company growth plan. The whole infrastucture needed to be delivered in 12 weeks from inception to launch.
"SOMETIMES, SOMETHING COMES ALONG THAT YOU JUST KNOW IS GOING TO BE A GAME-CHANGER "
blow LTD chose Flint Technology, a Magento Silver Partner, for its technical experience Magento integration the projects and understanding of its business objectives.
The site was built on Magento Enterprise Edition integrated with a hybrid infrastructure consisting of Vend (point of sale), Timely (booking), Wordpress (CMS) and Xero (accounting). Flint installed all elements of Blow’s retail infrastructure and the build included:
- A custom design for eCommerce and Beauty Bar services elements
- Integration between Magento and Vend
- Full Mobile Infrastructure – utilising Flint’s mobile module
- Multi-select Ajax driven guided navigation
- An In-store customer feedback mechanism
- Configuration of all order management and accounting facilities
- A mobile app for booking and purchase
blowltd.com launched as planned in November 2013 receiving uniformly positive reviews.
"In short, we’ve struggled, really struggled, to find a fault. There just isn’t any" – Glam.com
"It’s such a good idea, I’m amazed no one has done it quite like this before" – Sali Hughes Beauty
The site has exceeded sales targets and has handled the surge in traffic generated since the early success of the launch. The infrastructure has seamlessly scaled to manage 3 salons.
"Set to leave the competition standing"